Hyperthyroid refers to an overactive thyroid gland wherein, it produces excess amounts of T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxine). Excessive production of the thyroid hormone leads our body to use energy much faster than it should.
The following are the symptoms of Hyperthyroid:
- Increased perspiration
- Hair loss
- Difficulty in breathing
- Weight loss
- Muscle spasms, cramps
- Rapid heart beat
- Change in body temperature
Grave’s disease is the most common form of Hyperthyroid. Patients suffering from Grave’s disease often suffer from a swollen thyroid gland which appears as a bulge in the neck. When hyperthyroid is treated with radioiodine it often leads hypothyroid.
Medication and anti-thyroid drugs are a good first step to control the over production of the thyroid hormone but don’t really solve the problem. Here are some foods that help treat Hyperthyroid naturally:
- Bugleweed: This herb, also known as Lycopusvirginica, can reduce the amount of hormone the thyroid gland produces. It can also help lower the levels of T4, and the conversion of T4 into T3.
- Use this herb to prepare herbal tea.
- About one-half teaspoon of bugleweed in a cup of boiling water.
- Allow it boil for a few minutes before straining.
- Having this tea once a day will do you wonders.
- Broccoli: Broccoli contains isothiocyanates and giotrogens which can restrain the thyroid gland from overactive production of hormone. One must have raw broccoli as frequently as possible to control hyperthyroid.
- Lemon balm: This herb helps reduce the TSH levels, thereby calming the overactive thyroid gland. Lemon balm is rich in flavonoids and phenolic acids, both of which are helpful in curing hyperthyroid.
- Green tea: Known for its various medicinal properties, green tea is also helpful to those who suffer from hyperthyroid. It helps to reduce the production of T3 and T4 hormones. It also has anti oxidants which help in treatment of hyperthyroid. Make sure to use caffeine free products.
- Cabbage: Cabbage is one of the best foods to treat hyperthyroidism as it contains giotrogens which help in reducing the production of thyroid.
- Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, any berries will help you ease the symptoms of hyperthyroid as they are rich in anti oxidants and help your immune system stay strong. A generous helping everyday will surely prove helpful.
- Salmon: Rich in omega 3 fatty acids and Vitamin D, salmon helps to keep your bones strong and the fatty acids help balance the endocrine system and thyroid levels in the body. Other food rich in omega 3 fatty acids are: almonds, fish, tofu and walnuts.
- Milk, yogurt and cheese: Hyperthyroid can often lead to weak bones so stalk up more calcium into your body with the help healthy dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheese.
- Whole grains: Whole grain breads, popcorn and whole grain pasta are some foods rich in whole grains. They are also good sources of antioxidant and Vitamin B.
Foods that you should avoid in order to recover faster:
- Processed foods: Processed foods generally have no nutritional value which is why it is all the more necessary for you to avoid them if you are suffering from hyperthyroid. They contain high amounts of sugar and carbohydrates and even higher amount of calories.
Processed food also contains gluten which can trigger autoimmune responses in the body.
- High-fat meat: High-fat meat is rich in saturated fatty acids and can cause cholesterol problems. People suffering from thyroid problems already have high and fluctuating cholesterol levels. High-fat meats can easily be substituted with lean meats.
Plan you daily meals carefully and make sure you are eating healthy and supplying your body with everything it needs. You may need to eat a little extra to maintain your energy levels initially so make sure that nothing you eat, worsens your condition.
Madhavi Dandu is a senior editor at UrbanWired with deep love and passion for all things health, wellness, fitness and fashion. Given how uninformed people were about personal health, fitness, she saw the need to educate average joe and jane about healthy living through her writing.
Fashion Blog Guest Post - Understand the writing style and visit the "Write for us" page. To submit, send your article to the email address "email@example.com".